International Women's Day 2019 #BalanceForBetter
by Sian Yewdall
March 05, 2019
This week women around the world are celebrating International Women's Day on Friday 8 March. The theme is #BalanceForBetter. In other words: better the balance, better the world.
It’s one thing to honour the sisterhood and celebrate our accomplishments, but what can we do individually at home, at work and in our community to take this message to the streets and create real conversation and hopefully, change?
Often we look outside ourselves for someone else, the government or an organisation to ‘fix’ the issue and implement a policy that will cultivate change. Job done. Easy.
But we know real change occurs once we decide to take action.
So if you're interested in understanding what you can do to help stimulate conversation and #BetterTheBalance, choose one or more of these simple ideas* below to make it your day too.
- Tell one other person about International Women’s Day.
- Campaign for equality in your place of work, school or community.
- Select women as spokespeople and leaders.
- Extend opportunities to women first.
- Make an opportunity to showcase women’s success.
- Take a junior female worker to a meeting.
- Encourage your female neighbour to join their local community council.
- Check and make sure that you’re paying your staff equally regardless of gender.
- Have a party to celebrate the achievements of the females in your family or organisation.
- Challenge your husband, your brother, your father to think differently. Ask them what they can do to advance gender equality
For more information visit www.internationalwomensday.com or search #balanceforbetter to follow all the activity on the day.
*Ideas from www.internationalwomensday.com